As the American healthcare landscape continues to change and evolve, healthcare information technologies remain highly in demand. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that employment of HIT professionals who handle medical records is expected to grow more than 15% from 2014 to 2024. This is double the average anticipated growth for all occupations.
Moreover, HIT jobs are some of the higher paying careers in the US. While level of experience and location can cause earnings to vary, the average HIT worker earns roughly $90,000 annually. Top-level positions, unsurprisingly, command the highest salaries. They also come with some steep requirements, however. Read on for more detail about the highest paying HIT jobs out there – and what you’ve got to be able to do to land them.
Key Areas of Expertise
One of the critical elements of your success in healthcare IT is your skill set. There are several areas of work focus that call for specialized skills. These fields are:
- Data Mining / Data Warehousing
- Clinical Analytics / Data Science
- Informatics / Workflow Analysis
- Software Development / Infrastructure / Security
With these important proficiencies on your resume, you’ll be ready to take on the next level role in your field.
And the Five Top-Paying HIT Positions Are…
Position 1: Executive Level Roles (Senior Director & Above) $127,500+
- Design and implement global infrastructure for scale, performance, compliance, and availability
- Manage and lead 24/7 network operations center and production operations which support our cloud applications and services
- Build a high performance team through effective hiring, coaching, and growth & development
- Implement durable and scalable processes, tools, and automation, including performance and business metrics
- Drive planning, budget development and strategic priorities, working within the engineering leadership team to shape and execute operations strategy and objectives
- Vendor management and purchasing for all IT and technology equipment and software
- Drive development and execution of technology infrastructure initiatives and optimize current infrastructure and support systems
- Collaborate with executive leadership and other business groups to increase effectiveness of operations projects, programs and communications
- Develop and support strong cross functional partnerships with Technical Support, Security & Compliance, Development, QA, Product, Customer Success, and Corporate IT
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- 10+ years of experience building and leading a growing technical operations function for a cloud product
- Passion for building world-class infrastructure that supports a global customer base
- Highly motivated, methodical, organized and self-directed individual
- Proven execution skills and ability to successfully execute against strategy in cooperation with other functions
- Ability to apply both technical competence and interpersonal skills to achieve business outcomes
- Strong experience and detailed technical knowledge in system, database, and network engineering
- 5+ years experience in a SaaS or cloud-based software company
- 5+ years of system, network, and database operational experience
- Familiarity with ALDO – Agile+Lean+DevOps culture
Position 2: Data Scientist – $125,000
- Extensive experience in fully architecting and executing complex analytical backends
- Expert experience in machine learning, artificial intelligence and/or artificial neural networks
- Expert knowledge of various mathematical and statistical models to include, but not limited to: Discrete Event Simulation, Factor Analysis, Genetic Algorithms, Bayesian Probability Models, Hidden Markov Models and Sensitivity Analysis
- Ability to setup and maintain database for extremely large datasets using current database technologies (ex. Hadoop)
- Strong experience in using application programming interfaces (API)
- Proficient in the big data ecosystem with familiarity with Hadoop, Yarn, Spark, and/or Storm
- Demonstrated technical abilities to engineer products that large datasets, with tools that may include: Cluster computing, Grid Computing, Graphical Processing Unit Computing
- MS or PhD degree in relevant discipline (Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or Health Sciences)
- 7 – 10 years’ experience in advanced analytics
- 5 – 10 years’ experience in a data architecture role with deep understanding of architecture principles & best practices
- Experience in Big Data and Hadoop analytics environments but prefer candidates who have worked with a variety of data analytics tools such as SAS and SQL.
- Experience with multiple scripting languages (Python, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience in Agile environment
Position 3: Informatics/Workflow Specialist – $115,000
- Application Analysis: Understand the application at a detailed level, ability to troubleshoot and work with users and vendor for problem resolution.
- Project Management: Lead small to large projects and assist other project managers.
- Project Champion: Assist business in understanding workflow changes as they relate to new and changing technology. Embrace change and influence user adoption.
- Business Analysis: Work with internal business customers in clinical, finance, billing, and marketing to understand and meet business needs.
- Customer Service: Maintain effective relations with customers to create a climate receptive to transformation through the use of information technology.
- Process design and improvement: Ability to evaluate current processes, recommending areas for change and improvement using standard tools.
- Liaison to Customers, Vendors, and other internal IS resources.
Subject Matter Expert in either healthcare and information technology.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Registered Nurse Licensure highly preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in healthcare
- 2+ years’ experience in business analysis, EMR implementation, IT analysis and/or informatics
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office software
Position 4: Software Development – $85,000
- Reviewing current systems
- Presenting ideas for system improvements, including cost proposals
- Working closely with analysts, designers and staff
- Producing detailed specifications and writing the program codes
- Testing the product in controlled, real situations before going live
- Preparation of training manuals for users
- Maintaining the systems once they are up and running
- Expertise in current computer hardware and software
- Ability to use one or more development language (C++, PHP, HTML, etc.)
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Eye for detail and identifying problems
- An understanding of business
- Analytical and commercial experience
Position 5: Data Analysis – $83,000
- Architect and develop complex, best-in-class and innovative analytics and reporting solutions
- Establish, run, and sustain processes and practices that support big data, analytics, and reporting solutions and applications in an Open Source environment
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Meet deadlines in an Agile development process as defined by the management team
- 3-5 years’ experience in advanced analytics, delivering actionable insights from data and working in big data analytics environments
- 1-2 years’ experience with business intelligence (data visualization and dashboarding, Tableau, etc) and with multiple scripting languages (Scala, R, Python, etc.)
- Experience with SQL syntax for multiple databases (e.g., standard SQL, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience working with Big Data to include the Hadoop platform
- Experience in an Agile environment
- Healthcare experience highly preferred
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree